Registration Statistics

A&I Registration Statistics provides registration data on large truck and bus companies and other industry partners to inform FMCSA's safety-based decision making. Companies register with FMCSA for a USDOT number and are responsible for updating their information on a regular basis. In addition, companies who will transport people or goods for hire apply for FMCSA operating authority.

View the data highlights below or create your own custom reports using the Registration Statistics data visualization tool in Custom Reports.

Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS) Snapshot Date: 06/28/2024

Licensing & Insurance (L&I) Snapshot Date: 06/28/2024

Motor Carrier Classification

Registered motor carriers provide information to FMCSA on their numbers of drivers and CMVs. This data includes active motor carrier companies with USDOT numbers registered as either interstate, intrastate hazardous materials, or intrastate non-hazardous materials.

carrier icon
driver icon
vehicle icon

Operation Classification

Motor carriers register their operation classification as for hire, private, both for-hire and private, or some other classification. For-hire carriers are paid to transport property or passengers. Private carriers transport their own goods.


Registered motor carriers provide information on their total number of drivers and the number holding Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs). Drivers must have a CDL to drive certain types of CMVs, or any vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers or certain types of hazardous materials.

Vehicles Operated

Motor carriers operate a variety of CMVs to transport goods and passengers. Straight trucks carry cargo in a body mounted to their chassis, and combination trucks pull cargo-carrying trailers behind a tractor. Passenger-carrying vehicles include motorcoaches and buses, which are vehicles used for long-distance passenger travel. Other vehicles include other passenger vehicles, such as limousines.

Authority Types

Operating Authority is a motor carrier's right to operate a commercial motor vehicle to transport goods (property and household goods) or passengers for hire. FMCSA requires all for-hire carriers to obtain operating authority and maintain proof of insurance. The Agency also requires operating authority for brokers and freight forwarders, which receive payment for arranging goods transportation.

Know Your Terms

To find commonly used terms describing registered large truck and bus companies and other industry partners, go to the Registration Statistics Glossary.

Explore More

For more in-depth data, see FMCSA’s Pocket Guide to Large Truck and Bus Statistics.