FMCSA's New Entrant Program monitors motor carriers' compliance with safety regulations for their first 18 months. This website explains the program and
requirements to help carriers operate safely on our roads.
Register as a Motor Carrier
If your vehicle meets any of the descriptions below, you are a motor carrier and must register with FMCSA.
Once you have registered, you will receive a letter explaining next steps.
You are a motor carrier if your vehicle:
- Weighs at least 10,001 pounds, and operates in interstate commerce, or
- Weighs at least 26,001 pounds, and operates in interstate OR intrastate commerce (commercial driver's license is required), or
- Transports more than 8 passengers (including the driver), for-hire (compensated), or
- Transports more than 15 passengers (including the driver), private (not for compensation), or
- Transports amounts of hazardous materials requiring placards (49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C).
See examples of vehicles requiring a U.S. DOT Number